Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

GE french door refrigerator ice maker in refrigerator model…

Customer Question
GE french door refrigerator...

GE french door refrigerator ice maker in refrigerator model number PFCF1RKZBB. I've replaced the icemaker evaporator fan motor and air damper in refrigerator. The ice maker initially was not making ice now the ice is barely freezing. There is water in the ice maker but it just gets a thin sheet of ice over the top of it. There are ducts that lead from the freezer evaporator fan motor to the icemaker compartment in the refrigerator door.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

3 years old PFCF1RKZBB , I believe it may be an LG refrigerator with GE's name on it

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appliance
7/25/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

what is your question?

And can you take a air temperature reading near the icemaker cavity area?

I have also been an appliance Tech for 30 years. But this one really has me stumped. The ice maker is not making ice. There is water in the mold and there's a thin sheet of ice over the water but it's not completely Frozen. I thought there may be an obstruction leading to or from the ice maker area in the door. Preventing air from reaching the ice maker compartment which again is in the door of the refrigerator on a french door refrigerator.
I'm pretty sure it's an LG refrigerator with a GE name on it
I am not currently with the refrigerator therefore if a phone call is necessary I'll wait until I go there
Not sure why my last text did not go through but I will repeat. I believe it is an LG refrigerator with a GE name on it

that is why we need to see what the temperature is right in the icemaker area.

I`m showing this is a GE built unit.

And I did not send you the phone call prompt that is an automatic prompt from the web site. NOT I

no problem about the phone call. I understand. I did not take a temperature reading from the ice maker section which again is inside the refrigerator door. Therefore when you open the door there is a disconnect from the Ducts that going into the ice maker. However the refrigerator temperature reading is at 36 degrees. The freezer temperature is at -1 degree
I can only assume that the temperature inside of the ice maker section is anemic therefore it is not freezing the water. The Ducts run from the freezer evaporator fan motor inside the walls into the side of the door that houses the ice maker. Again I replace the evaporator fan motor thinking it was not providing enough air to the ice maker section. Then I replaced the refrigerator damper thinking it was stealing too much air from the ice maker section

ok well the water in the icemaker will not freeze unless it is 32 degrees and then the icemaker will not cycle unless the internal ice maker thermostat reaches a temp of 15 degrees.

So you need to find out what temperature air you are getting to the icemaker.

and if it is less then the 32 degrees and most definitely above the 15 degrees you need to follow that air flow to see where the issue or possible air flow restriction is .

Also following your last post look at the air return duct also .

I realize that I need to determined weather there's a restriction in either the airflow in or out however it's just ducts that go from the evaporator fan motor inside the walls of the freezer and refrigerator with no access. I did feel Aire coming from the positive pressure side exactly how much they're supposed to be I don't know. But the freezer is sufficiently cold as is the refrigerator. I can only assume that because the water is barely Frozen that the ice maker section is not getting to the temperature that it should. Therefore that leads to the ducts that are not accessible.

Yes I do think your on the right track it will either be the supply air or the return air that is restricted some how.

Make sure the customer has no items blocking the vents.

and the air that you feel could just because you have the door open , when the door is closed there is no air flow.

That is why you need to check the air return back into the freezer section from the fresh food section also.

Yeah I blew air through the feed and the return seem to be coming through fine. However the feed air is very slight under normal working conditions so feeding pressurized air may not really help me determine whether there's a slight blockage. And the Ducks are in there in a way that prevent pushing any kind of object through to check and see if there are blocked. And there in between the inner and outer wall of the refrigerator foamed in. Just wondering if there is a GE Tech that may know of a specific problem with this particular type of refrigerator

I do ALL Major appliances.

And there is no GE service pointer on the issue .

That I have already checked on the GE technical data site.

I too have been a service tech for 30 years I was authorized with Whirlpool for 15 of them. As a matter of fact if you are a tech service guy I've probably spoken to you. The temperature inside of the ice maker compartment cannot be 15 degrees because if it were as you said I would be getting ice however there is a thin coating of ice in the mold so there is obviously a temperature issue inside the ice maker compartment. GE is not so forthright with their service issues. And unless you're authorized GE service they will not give you any information. And in this part of the country New Jersey they only have their own Factory techs. And I recognize the term service pointers as I Whirlpool term;)

I have access to the GE tech site!

We know t has to be an air flow issue do you at least agree on that?

I agree with everything you've said. Please don't misinterpret me following up as disagreement. But the real question is what is responsible for airflow? are there plenums or devices used to direct air thst could be missing or not aligned. I know for instance with Electrolux refrigerators of the same breed that if the freezer door gasket has the slightest inconsistency it will cause the ice maker in the refrigerator not to work. And that's something that could be easily missed if it's just a minor deformation. However I learn that by speaking to the Frigidaire service tech. I'm just wondering if there's some type of inherent issue with this particular breed of GE refrigerator

I see no issue with this model on the GE tech site they are not showing any issue (service bulletins)

And yes the Frigidaire tech is correct if a door gasket is not sealing properly the air leaking from the door gasket can be a larger volume that what travels thru for the icemaker air flow so it will not recirculate the cold air just new warm air.

Have you looked at the door gaskets or if the door is closing properly?

Yeah I am the "fireman" for the company I go when it can't be figured out. Spent two hours taking it apart, cleaning condenser, checked the door gaskets, checked sensors for resistance , fan motor for speed and blade adjustment. But I'm stumped. Original tech found no water in mold ran it through a harvest cycle no power to valve therefore changed out I.M. SINCE THEN this problem. Mold heater not on during freeze cycle . All gaskets including bellow type gaskets on the mullion that seal the Ducts to door when closed. Can't be the icemaker. Sorry man this one is killing me.

ok so if the freezer temps are fine and the fresh food temps are also fine . And you have some air flow to the icemaker area.

Has the customer turned the unit off to see if they may have some ice in the ducting that you can not see.

If they left a door ajar it could just be ice restricting air flow.

And turning the unit off with the doors open may be the only way to clear an ice restricting the air flow .

Yeah. It's a professional office kitchen. They turned frig off Friday and back on Monday with all doors open.

And you still have this issue after it was off over the weekend ?

And you saw nothing that would be blocking air flow.

And I`m assuming this has not been an issue from day one correct?

It just started?

And have they had anyone work on the unit before?

Initial call , no ice. No water in mold.
Replaced I.M. .
Every call thereafter very cold water to slightly icy water in mold . To date 3 harvest cycles have occurred . In a month.
We sold this refrigerator brand new 3 years ago. We are the only repair company
Eventually it will be fixed if I should uncover the issue I will let you know what I found for your records . Going back early next week

Ok no problem ,good luck!

Sorry I was off line yesterday spent 6 1/2 hours at the dentists.