Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My GE refrigerator the fridge section is not cooling, but

Customer Question

My GE refrigerator the fridge section is not cooling, but the freezer is working normally. I am assuming a thermostat problem?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I have no idea on the age. the model # GYK181BXCRBS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i do, i am too cheap to pay labor...lol, i am very handy with repairs.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not really, i hear the unit running and cleaned the fan area, but still no cooling in the fridge section
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

That is likely a defrost issue you need to remove the rear panel in the freezer section. If the evaporator is built up with excessive frost you need to defrost the frost build up with a hairdryer or steamer. Then you need to check the heater for continuity and the defrost thermostat for continuity as well, that is clipped to the evaporator. It has to be cold to test it and it should read continuity with an ohm meter as well when cold. If all that tests good you likely have a bad defrost control. If you it is not blocked up with frost let me know.

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.