Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator, Model# GSS25LSTDSS.

I have a GE...

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator, Model# ***** The refrigerator side temperature is set at 41 but it's running at 55 and not getting any colder. The freezer side is set to 0 but it's running at 12. (This unit is an 2006)

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model GSS25LSTDSS and it's a 2006

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on how complex and expensive it is

7/24/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

1. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?
  2. Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
1. Fan is running in the freezer section.
2. No frost on the inside back wall

Can you remove the rear wall from inside the freezer to inspect the evaporator coil behind it? See number 213 in the diagram at the link below.

CLICK HERE

This would take some time to do because the wife has it loaded. Since this is a 2006 do you think this is worth the effort/money to repair?

It would be worth taking a look behind that panel, yes. It is likely a very common and easily corrected problem.

This would take quite a bit of time to empty and get at the coils. Being a 2006 do you think this is worth the money/time to repair?

I just need to know if that evaporator coil is covered in frost that is blocking the air flow.

The evaporator coil has quite a bit of ice on it, mostly on the top half.

Can you post a picture of that so I can see the frost pattern?

Got a photo, where do I post it to?

You can use the ADD FILE button to attach it.

Was it just on the top couple coils but the rest all clear and not frosted at all?

It was mostly on the left and right side end and near the top. Right now there isn't much on them. Mostly on the tips of the coil spikes. Hope that makes sense

Okay, but just to clarify, none at all on the lower section, even at the tips of the "fibers" on the tubing?

Okay, good, that is what I needed, thank you! So you don't think it was built up enough at the top to block air from getting through the coils?

I don't think it was that bad.

So that would make the air damper assembly most likely faulty then. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The video at the link below shows how it is accessed for replacement.

CLICK HERE

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Just ordered the part. Thanks so much for your help Kelly. If this works it sure beats buying a new refrigerator.

You are very welcome, thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician