Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I Have a Kenmore washer, which stopped agitating and

Customer Question

Hi I Have a Kenmore washer, which stopped agitating and spinning, I initially replaced the coupler, which moved the problem for one load, then it stopped again and I had a burning smell. I then replaced both the transmission, clutch , drive motor and the lid assembly, to be sure I did most problematic issues and still the machine fills but does not agitate?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model 110-24642300 about 15-18 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i have reinstalled all of the parts myself
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: all the parts I purchased are new, motor, transmission, clutch , coupler, and lid switch, and I followed the online instructions
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the machine fills with water , then stops and has a buzzing noise, with no agitation cycle engaged, when I try to advance to the rinse or spin cycle , I get the same buzzing noise
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

IS the motor actually running when it does not agitate? If it is just humming or buzzing then you need to check the RED wire on the motor plug it may be bad or loose. If that is ok then you may just have a bad timer contact. Note also check the pump for a blockage as that will stall the motor and it will not agitate or spin either. If you need more help let me know.

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi I checked the motor and it is now warm/hot to touch, while it was humming I had the washer on blocks to that I could wiggle the red wire to improve the contact, I had actually seen that on a previous video, some guy used a clothes a tiny clothes pin to improve connection , but that did not seem to help. I had already pulled the water pump and checked for blockage, but it was clear and the wheel spins.
Actually now I'm not even getting the humming noise after wiggling the wires a bit.
not sure, what next? I had even started over and pulled the gear drive/ transmission to be sure it was positioned correctly, and reattached the motor and pump, then the lid assembly etc.
Any additional suggestions?