Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Service Technician at Ralph's Joy of Living
99018442

I have a GE pfs22sisbss with cooling issues, refrigerator

Customer Question

Hi I have a GE pfs22sisbss with cooling issues, refrigerator temp showing 62 and freezer temp showing -1. We keep temp set at 37 and zero.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 12 years Model is pfs22sisbss
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Issue just started earlier today
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Nolan Rettig replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issues today. Please give me a minute to review your question.

First thing I will have you check is if you open the freezer section and look at the back do you see any frost build up along the back wall? And if you press in the door switch do you hear the fan come on at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do see frost build up on the back wall of the freezer. Not sure where the door switch is but I can hear the fan

If there is enough frost built up so you can see it on the front side of that panel there is likely something wrong with the defrost cycle of the unit. Give me one second while I look up the tech sheet for this model number.

I don't see a way to put this into a forced defrost unfortunately but what you will want to do is remove the freezer drawer and take that back wall out. At that point you can use a hair dryer or steamer or something to get that frost build up cleaned out and take a look at the defrost components to see which of those is causing the issue. What generally happens is that frost gets built up so badly that there is no airflow up to the refrigerator section.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I will try that

Let me know when you do and we can do some further checks on those components.