John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I am pulling a Juki LU562 out of 15 yr. storage. It was used

Customer Question

Hi. I am pulling a Juki LU562 out of 15 yr. storage. It was used by my sister but I have never used it.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I have oiled all the red dots and under the machine as well. I cannot get the balance wheel to turn when the v-belt is attached, nor will the hook turn when I un-attach the v-belt and turn the balance wheel by hand. What should I adjust? I just started yesterday working on getting the machine in order so I can use it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it is a simple fix, yes. Otherwise I need to find a place to take it for repair in Maine.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am pretty handy if I have a diagram and know what to look for/fix. I have the Parts manual, the Instruction manual, and a chapter on sewing machine repair from the US Navy!
JA: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Juki LU562. My dad bought it at an auction around 1992.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 2 months ago.

Hi

It is likely there is an issue with any or several things...

• Thread Trapped and tangled
  • Corrosion
  • Old Oil and Lint gumming the works

Check under the Bobbin case in the Hook Race and around the Take Up Crank for wrapped thread... remove very carefully, unwrap rather than cut where possible to avoid residual scraps of caught thread

We use Inox Spray for lube as it does not evaporate like WD40... a small amount on moving parts will allow unbinding if corroded... it may take several applications and days if well and truly seized

Old Oil and Lint are easily broken down with Metholated Spirit (Denatured Spirit).. use caution and well ventilated space ... a compressor or similar is great to blow out the gunge and debris

Let me know how you get on... it may well take a few actions to get it all back to life, but very few are beyond redemption in my experience

I am in Australia, so reply times may be longer as we are 17hrs ahead of Pacific Time here

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dear Mr. Lloyd,I have already canceled my question, since I did not receive an answer for over 48 hours and Just Answer said they did not have an expert who could help. Since then, I have taken my Juki to a serviceman and had all issues resolved. thank you for your time.Hilary Holm

OK, thank you, ***** ***** have it sorted