Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Maytag neptune front loader MLE2000ayw, I had a hose fall

Customer Question

maytag neptune front loader MLE2000ayw, I had a hose fall off and a flood but also have a drain pan underneath so the drain pan filled and the motor control board got wet, i had already replaced the motor and control board with the updated kit a few years ago. right after the flood the unit would start a cycle then shut off when I believe it was calling for the motor to turn. Let it sit for a day and dry out and now it seems to function properly through a cycle and rinse and spin and drain properly and shuts off and both lights turn off the door lock and start/stop light. Now when it has ended a cycle and both lights are off if you turn the cycle/timer knob it sounds like it would if you turned the timer knob while it was on but the cycle doesn't start completely. If I move it to the middle of a cycle then press the start button until the light goes on then press and hold the start button until it shuts off then it is back to normal and completely off and makes no noise when turning the cycle/timer knob as it should. It's like it's partially shut off but not completely. I did just replace the motor control board this morning thinking since it got wet that's were problem lies. I'm thinking either timer/cycle assembly or machine control board but the wiring diagrams I have are hard to read and I'm not sure of my next diagnosis step
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

When the washer flooded and got the motor control wet .I bet it also took out some of the the timer contacts also .

I would recommend to replace the timer.

Do you need the part information?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
here would be were I scratch my head on the timer. it does go through the cycle and when it comes to the off position the machine does partially shut down the light goes out and the door lock unlocks and the light goes out and the water has drained. are there multiple off contacts to the different systems? it's almost like the water handling is still on but motor drive and door and light functions have shut down

You are incorrect .

The timer had multiple off points on the Cam but it only has one OFF contact.

It sounds as if you have a pump contact that is welded closed giving voltage to the drain pump all the time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The pump contact you refer to is the pump contact that is part of timer? also when when I move the timer to the middle of a cycle and do the start stop manually the issue goes away so the pump contact isn't always stuck?

yes the pump CONTACT is internal of the timer.

The contacts are small thin metal strips/ fingers that press against a solid contact point.

As the timer is rotated these fingers move up and down making a contact and breaking the contact.

If some one has turned the timer dial back ward the pump contact finger could be bent ,that it way that some point in the rotation of the timer the pump does go off.

But the timer is the only thing that give voltage for any of the components to work.

so if you have one of those components that are powered when it should not be it had to be an issue with in the timer!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay you make a good point on my way to the parts store for a timer, i'll let you know what happens

no problem ,if you have any questions just reply back to me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
more info I have it solved!! of course it was so simple I'm kicking myself. during all of my test runs I had not been opening the door I could here the drain pump running at the end so I never looked inside the drum. I would imagine the control board keeps the pump live until you open the door to drain any residual water that may accumulate if you let it sit. ran a cycle opened opened the door and the issue is gone!! FYI not the timer and I kept thinking that it was something else because all of the other operations of the timer were working perfectly spinning and draining and so on have a good day

ok no problem .

And yes if you never open the door and do more then one load or even doing testing the control has to see the door open after each completion if not it throws everything off (confuses the unit)

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?
If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time