John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Trying to find instructions on how to troubleshoot my

Customer Question

trying to find instructions on how to troubleshoot my washer
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Maytag Series 4000 MHWE450WJ01 F28
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: resets don't clear it. I have the door open and the drum still has water... wouldn't drain
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes.. I'm pretty good at following instructions... but I don't want to throw parts at it.. I'd like to properly diagnose it and then buy the right parts, if you know what I mean
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 3 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

How are you Trying to resetting the unit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Woody - I have a Maytag Series 4000 washer (MHWE450WJ01) with a fault code f28. I've done several resets, can get the lock to open and still wind up back at f28. I've manually released the latch and I'm now trying to isolate the cause. The connections all look good, feel snug. I'm guessing that it's not actually the latch assembly. It seems to work okay when it works. Is there a diagnostic test I can run to isolate the root cause?

The F-28 error code means ,,The communication between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and the Motor Control Unit (MCU) cannot be sent correctly.

Possible Causes/Procedure

1. Unplug washer or disconnect power.

2. Check wire harness connections to the MCU, the motor, and Central Control Unit (CCU).

– Check connections of the CCU board within the housing.

– Make sure all grounding switches are engaged.

3. Check that the serial harness at the MCU is not mounted upside down. The wires should be to the left when facing the MCU connectors.

4. Check the drive system for any worn or failed components.

5. Plug in washer or reconnect power.

If you still get the F-28 the tech sheet says to replace the CCU board.

You could have a loose wire or the CCU is starting to go bad.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are there any diagrams or videos that can show me what parts are where? I know where the CCU is, but don't know where the grounding switches are. I can probably figure out where the MCU is, and if the harness is mounted upside down, but I'm a little apprehensive about cracking open the CCU housing without knowing where all the retaining clips or tabs are. Experience tells me this is how retainers and other plastic parts get broken. Pictures and/or videos are welcome :)

the grounding switches are on each panel that you can remove.

They are just extra grounding for the interior of the unit when you have the panel off so all the components are grounded properly if you touch then with the cabinet panels off .

The motor control MCU is located on the base /floor of the unit on the left hand side.

The CCU is mounted on the top rail .

I can send you a parts break down if you think that will help you.

But the parts just have numbers you then have to match the numbers with the description

oh And you might be able to find a video on YouTube ,but the manufacture does not have videos

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Anything you have, I'm happy to take a look at it.

here is the parts break down .

http://www.partadvantage.com/lookup/100240/611963

here is the units tech sheet also .

it does not look like it was sent let me try again.

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 months ago.

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?
If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time