Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I replaced the timer on my electric clothes dryer, but it…

I replaced the timer on...
I replaced the timer on my electric clothes dryer, but it still does not work. I want to bypass it by using jumpers or extra wiring however the wiring diagram that I have from the manufacturer is not clear to me. What should I do?
7/21/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

What is the dryer doing exactly?

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Kelly thank you for your assistance. They dryer was running fine and still does. Here's a little back story - I bought a new house and the washer and dryer were already in the home. The timer knob on the dryer was missing and the previous owners had a pair of vice grips on it to turn the knob. I purchases a new knob and that 1 soon began to split, so I fixed it. I felt that the timer was difficult to turn and that I was apt enough to replace it. Therefore I purchased a replacement timer and swapped it with the original 1. I must not have reconnected it right because the dryer only ran for a few minutes then the timer sparked and smoked and the dryer stopped. I don't want to buy ANOTHER 120 $ timer. I called GE and got a wiring diagram to see how the wiring should go and figure a way to bypass the switch but it is not clear to me.
Phone call session started
  1. Can you post a picture of how you have it wired up now?
  2. Where did you buy the timer from?

Do you have a meter to test with?

Calling now....

No answer, I did leave a message. You cannot safely bypass the timer and I would never recommend doing so. The timer red wire is the L1 leg, it closes to white at the timer to feed the motor voltage. Red at timer to orange at timer feeds the one side of the heating element. When you turn the timer on, those are the two basic sets of contacts that close.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I apologize. I went downstairs to grab the original timer. I had disconnected the wiring to the replacement because I was going to swap the original back in, but I don't know if I would connect it correctly, as I am unsure how it should be reconnected into the dryer.

I will call you back.