Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The ice maker in the freezer compartment of my kitchenmaid

kbfc42fss refrigerator runs water into...
the ice maker in the freezer compartment of my kitchenmaid kbfc42fss refrigerator runs water into the freezer. It makes and dumps ice cubes into the ice bin, but it also seems to run water into the bin, which then freezes the ice cubes into a big block.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/15/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

You'll want to use a hair dryer and thaw out the entire icemaker as well as the fill tube behind the icemaker in case there is any ice build up causing the water to back up and drip out the fill funnel or something else. Either way, thaw it out and give the refrigerator 24 hours to make ice again. If it's still leaking water, the icemaker itself is just leaking and would need to be replaced so below is a link to the icemaker you'd need to order for your model. It's only about $40 and you can replace it in less than 15 minutes. Just unscrew the icemaker from the side wall and pull it forward. Then unplug the icemaker and install the new one. No need to turn water or electricity off.

CLICK HERE for icemaker

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

use a hair dryer while the fridge is on? or defrost the whole thing?

No need to defrost the whole thing, but you will want to turn the refrigerator off and remove food around the ice maker as well as remove the ice bucket. Then just heat up the icemaker and fill tube for 15-30 minutes or so until it's completely thawed.

The fill tube at the back is behind the ice maker on the left side wall or behind the ice maker at the back of the freezer, the wall with the fan?

It comes in behind the icemaker above it directly in the middle from left to right.

is it a white plastic channel that spreads out several inches wide, directly above the ice maker, attached to the freezer compartment roof?

No, it's a 1" tube coming from the back wall.

the link you gave is for a reconditioned ice maker. is that a used, refurbished unit?
34;remanufactured"

I apologize, you are correct. Below is a link to a new one (same price).

CLICK HERE for icemaker

you recommend the quality of this SUPCO replacement model compared to the Kitchenaid?

They are all the same to be honest. They all last about 10 years or so.

thanks

No problem. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
I looked up the part or the ice maker assembly in the owner's manual.(###) ###-#### That part number isn't given in the list of ice makers that can be replaced by the two ice makers your recommended. Are you sure you're recommending the right size?

Yes, I'm certain it will work. (###) ###-####is like $150 or so, so I'm just giving you a much better alternative.

thank. I get it. It's just that I saw that SUPCO make several sizes, so I realized you have to be sure you're ordering the right size. I looked up the original part number and then checked the list ice makers the 10.5" Supco unit replaces and it wasn't listed. the Kitchenaid parts list doesn't describe it as a 10.5" ice maker; just "ice maker." So I just have to trust your recommendation that this is the correct size needed.

No problem, it'll work.

oops. the one you recommended is 11.5" Supco unit. Not 10.5"
The ice maker you recommended doesn't match up to the original. I removed the original. It has two connectors, a 3-pin and a 2-pin. The replacement ice maker has one 4-pin connector. The original has the connectors on the end of about 6" - 8" of wire. The replacement has no wire, only a connector in the "head" of the ice maker. The cables coming from the freezer are too short to mate up. The freezer is occasionally spilling large amounts of water on the floor. I forgot to mention that before in case that is related. This was occurring before I removed the ice maker.

The wire harness you just transfer from the old icemaker to the new icemaker---you are correct---they are not the same.

As for the leaking, that likely isn't related. That is probably from a defrost drain issue backing up and the back panel inside the freezer would need to be removed to clear the drain below the silver coils. For this issue you'd need to start a new question if you needed more assistance however.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc