Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Samsung fridge with dual ice maker. The bottom ice

Customer Question
maker has quit making ice...
I have a Samsung fridge with dual ice maker. The bottom ice maker has quit making ice out of the blue. Was working great before. Top one is working fine. Yesterday we had some storms and a power surge. The fridge then started to blink with the 33 E error code. Fortunately I read one of your other posts and was able to reset the screen by pressing Energy Saver and Lighting for 8 seconds and it reset.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model No. is RFG296HDRS/XAA . Had it about 3.5-4 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Would probably be more economical to do that but not sure what it entails and if we'd be able to.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Oh, we noticed that water has started accumulating in the bottom part of the fridge where the water filter is. Not sure why that is happening either.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
7/14/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Under the icemaker itself toward the front there should be a small square button you can press and hold to try to reset the icemaker. Press and hold this button for 15 seconds and see if the icemaker runs through a cycle like normal. If so, just give it 24 hours and if it still won't work on it's own, the icemaker would need to be replaced. If it doesn't run at all the icemaker definitely needs to be replaced.

Other than that, if you press and hold the button but the icemaker cycles and won't fill up with water at the end of the cycling, try to thaw the fill tube behind/above the icemaker with a hair dryer in case it's frozen. If it's clear then the electronic water valve below the refrigerator on the back would need to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I have tried pressing the reset button before and it didn't do anything. I don't think it cycled. Is it difficult to replace it ourselves or do we need a technician? Is the electronic water valve inside where the ice maker is or is it outside on the back of the fridge?

It's not difficult to replace yourself. The valve is a bit harder, but you don't need to replace it if the icemaker won't even cycle. The valve is on the back of the refrigerator underneath so you'd have to pull the refrigerator forward to replace it. To replace the icemaker just unplug the refrigerator, remove the 2 screws in front of the icemaker, then pull the icemaker forward and off. It will unplug and you can remove it.

MAKE SURE the unit is unplugged at all times when you uninstall the icemaker and have the icemaker disconnect or the unit will get a fault code and stop cooling. Do not plug the refrigerator back in until you have installed the new icemaker.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc