Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My ice maker has stopped making ice. I jumpered the points

Customer Question

My ice maker has stopped making ice. I jumpered the points between L and M and it went through a cycle. Then I jumpered the points between V and L and the water started pouring into the ice mold. Does this mean my solenoid is bad?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

If water came in when L and V were jumped, the valve solenoid is fine. Jump T & H, does it cycle through a harvest?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the wheel is turning
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It looks like it's completing a full cycle
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

What is the temperature in the freezer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's on a 4. On a 1-5 scale
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Everything in the freezer is frozen
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Well, it may be frozen but the ice maker will not cycle unless it is colder than 15* F. I suspect that is the issue since we know the motor and the valve are both okay.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it possible that the thermostat or what ever is used to read the temp in the freezer is malfunctioning?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Sure, or the thermostat in the ice maker may be bad, too. When you jump T & H, you bypass that thermostat. That is why it will be important to know the freezer temperature for certain.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ya I just checked the temp with a digital BBQ thermometer and it stopped reading at 20F before showing LLL. But it was still dropping pretty good.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where is the thermostat located? Behind that spot I was jumpering I assume
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

It is inside the ice maker, between the control module and the mold where the cubes are made. I will get you a video. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

See the video at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Or maybe behind the metal box
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

See the video at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's a good video. Thank you. One last question before I set off to get a new thermostat. Is there a way to test the thermostat on the two prongs to see if it's good or not
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
in doing an ohms check I'm getting a reading of 0.55
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

It should read open (no continuity) until it reaches about 15* F, at which time it should close and show continuity.