Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Second opinion] I have a KitchenAid stand alone ice maker

Customer Question

Second opinion] I have a KitchenAid stand alone ice maker that ran but stopped producing ice. Authorized repair service found that the water valve needed to be replaced. That done, it now makes ice. But the ice is purged almost every half hour and the water keeps running and is wasted. That process usually happened only once each day or when the ice compartment was almost empty. When I called Kitchen Aid Service line to inquire I was told that my ice maker was "old" and that it is not unusual for it to operate in this manner. I do not believe that to be true since it was not the way it worked before. I know this is a long question but I am not satisfied with the response and need a more qualified answer. Perhaps the new water valve needs an adjustment? Or maybe it is the wrong part? Please help me out here. Thanks. EstieJA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?Customer: yes. I wil get the info nowJA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: please stand by. I am looking for the paperworkJA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: Model: KUIS 185EBLO "S" could be a "6" not sure.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

It is designed to melt the ice to keep it fresh but it should not melt the ice in 30 minutes.

Is water holding in the bin where the ice should be or are you just finding it empty?

I suspect you may have a drainage issue that is keeping the water in the bin that is melting the ice. Remember, this is not a freezer and is not designed to keep the ice frozen. So, it will melt the ice and replenish it to keep the ice fresh.