Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Dacor built-in oven. Suddenly the power is out and

Customer Question

Hi - I have a Dacor built-in oven. Suddenly the power is out and the door is locked. Have cycled the power, held the cancel switch, etc. Can't open the door
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: done that 3 times
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not sure
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 12 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

You need to get something flexible like a stiff piece of plastic or metal and slide it in between the door and frame and slide it sideways to hit the latch hook and press it to the left or right and open the door that way manually. Most latch hooks you will slide the piece from right to left pressing the latch hook left to release it...90% are like that, the others are the opposite way depending on make and model.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I've tried this and the latch is not opening. I need a better answer to open it and find the power.

Without power to the unit and without a way of sliding it out you are going to be stuck trying to jimmy the door open. I just did one yesterday same issue. I actually use a metal slim jim to get between the door or into the grate area of the door lock mech to push the lever to get the door open. I am not sure what more I can tell you on this I can open this up for other experts to comment on though for you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
This is all I've already tried this. I'd like some Dacor specialist help. Is there nothing other than brute force?

I work on Dacor units for a living you do not need brute force to open them, but you do need patience to try and fish the door lock open. Wait for another expert as I do not think I am a good fit to help you on this. Just standby for another expert. Thanks