Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have Thermador oven CT 130 PRS. I need selector switch

Customer Question

I have Thermador oven CT 130 PRS. I need selector switch 189806. It is unavailable but part 412912 supposedly replaces it. The terminal number designations are reversed front to back. To what terminal numbers on the replacement 412912 should I attach the wires that were originally attached to what terminals on the old 189806? Don't say same number to same number because that does not work. Can you send me a picture of the 412912 installed or at least a schematic of the 412912 circuit in the CT 130 oven? I called factory techs but they do not know how to install or hook up the new switch.
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: CT 130 PRS Thermador wall oven, made probably in 1996. I have the new, 412912 switch which has a circuit board at the back end that the original did not have. I could send a picture of the two switches.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. The switch is installed physically and I just need to know which wires go to which terminal and can I simply ignore the circuit board?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I replaced the front panel because the LCD display did not work, but now it does. I have the identical oven also, installed and operational which I can refer to. It has the original 189806 switch.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Yes attach them to the same spots as the old one.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you mean that if the black wire was on the first terminal (front end) on the left of the original switch, designated 8a, it should go on the same, first terminal on the left of the new switch, designated 1 ? and so on?

Yes correct!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I connected the wires to the same positions as the original switch, using the other oven as a guide. Still no good. When I reconnect the power, the door locks and the display says "lock." No other switch position works. No heat, no mode indication in the LCD display except "lock." When I cut the power, it stays locked. I had to disconnect the latch -close circuit to open it. Then when I try to start it, it shorts out the breaker.. I rechecked the position of the wires. Any suggestions? Can you get me a phone number to technical support for Thermador? I call their customer service number.(###) ###-####and they refuse to connect me with tech support, saying it is only for certified repair people. Can you help me find the original switch, 189806? What shall I try next?

I found you the switch, it is expensive, but the right one.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No! That is not the right one. I need the original 189806. That is what Thermador says is a replacement but it does not fit physically or function when hooked up. I told you that I got one, 412912, and wired it up and it does not work. Other sites say it is not compatible with CT 130 oven. The repair technician came out and said that it will not work with this model. I need the 189806. This does not have the yellow circuit board at the back end.. Can you find it?

That is the correct according to Thermador the part, does this image help?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That shows the correct wiring arrangement for the original 189806 switch. I attached those wires as so to the new (wrong) switch 412912 and it did not work. What part number switch is this drawing of? I could not make out any text. Note in this picture that there is no indication of the circuit board that is on part 412912. I think your picture is of the original part 189806 that I cannot find. Thermador says the 412912 replaces 189806, but it does not. Thermador has done this before. Tell me what email to use and I will send a picture of both switches. I need the original one, the 189806 part.

The documentation for that unit is not available, let me see if another expert can help I am out of options.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
tell me where I can email you a picture of both switches side by side
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If you send me your email to where I can send a picture of the correct switch, then you can understand what I need. I can send a picture of the correct switch, 189806, alongside of the incorrect switch, 412912, you will understand what I need. I need the 189806. The mew part number that Thermador says replaces it is an incompatible part that does not fit or work. If you cannot find that switch, you can not help me.