Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Service Technician at Ralph's Joy of Living
99018442

Whirlpool LSR72233EQ0 washer. timer will only advance

Customer Question

Whirlpool LSR72233EQ0 washer. timer will only advance partially. in order to advance to drain spin etc. I must manually advance one click at a time. after some months I must advance to other cycles to start the function desired. . now after fill and agitate the machine will not perform other functions. It seems like a bad timer but because of the high cost I need to be sure.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 12 years maybe. model LSR7233EQ0
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, I have machine top console open now.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: unless there is some "secret" to r-n-r this part
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Nolan Rettig replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issues today. Please give me a minute to review your question.

So the timer isn't moving really at all and now it does it all of the time? Does it do this on all cycles?

Also do you have access to a voltmeter at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I only use the heavy or normal cycle. I attempt to engage the later functions by manually stepping the timer or, more recently, moving to other cycles, I have a voltmeter. a problem is that the diagram is not accessible, hidden behind the cabinet and too small

I have attached a copy of the wiring diagram so hopefully you can see it a little bigger, what I would like you to check is on the two black wires I have circled coming from the timer motor if you have 120v going to that motor when you have it washing. You do have to be kind of careful so you don't get shocked but those are the ones coming from the timer to turn that motor. It is likely that it will be in that timer if you aren't having to mess with the lid switch or anything when you manually turn the timer on the unit.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am doling this at a library so a step by step discussion is not practical. presumably if there is power to the timer motor the problem is the timer.. the timer would advance thru the early arts of the cycle. when I would advance it manually the later functions would occur. more recently I would have to move to other cycles to operate later functions anny special secrets to r-n-r timer . my time on the computer is running out

There aren't any sort of special secrets to get it working back again, generally what happens is either the timer motor fails to turn properly or on the inside of the timer the tines that make it go through things wear out to the point that it won't turn either. If it goes through the cycles correctly without any other issues and the agitate, drain, and spin functions all work when you go through them manually then the timer would have to be replaced unfortunately. The only other real thing that would be an issue is the lid switch but then it would do everything but spin out without issue and the timer would still move if that were the case.