Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in appliance repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses in England.
15468697

My jean are refrigerator is not cooling but the freezer is,

Customer Question

my jean are refrigerator is not cooling but the freezer is
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: 4 years old two door refrigerator freezer underneath
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: it depends on the problem
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i cannot think pf anything
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jfc2089wem11. Jenn aire
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for that.

As this is a full frost free appliance so basically the fridge gets its cooling from the freezer. The fan inside the freezer blows cold air into the fridge section.

So if the freezer is fine but the fridge isn't then its either the fan in the freezer is faulty or the evaporator in the freezer is blocked with ice and has stopped the air flow.

Now theres 2 ways to clear this. The easyist way is to full defrost the appliance. Turn off and leave the freezer door open for 24 hours. This will allow the ice to melt.

Or you can empty the freezer and remove the evaporator tray in the freezer at the top and drop it down. Then you can use a hairdryer to defrost it. Now this way is more harder as if its blocked with ice its not easy to remove the panels.

Once its defrost then see how it goes from there. It should get back to normal again from there.

But if it does it again in say 2-3 weeks then it has a defrost fault. Either the defrost heater, thermal cut out or control unit can be at fault here causeing this.

But try the defrost first and see how it goes. Fingers crossed this will get it going again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

No worries.

Also if you could remember to click the star ratings at the top of the page that would be great.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can feel some cool air from the vent in frig but not much
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

You need to do the above and check the freezer evaporator as if this is blocked with ice then it stops the air flow into the fridge section.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there an off switch
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

To turn this off all you need to do is press the freezer down button till it switches off.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not see a freezer down button is it on the control panel with the temperature or somewhere else
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

Yes its the temperture settings it self.

So open the fridge doors and you will see the setings for the fridge and freezer.

Just press the freezer down button several times and it will turn off.

Then when you want to turn it back on just press the freezer up button.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I thought that was it I pressed it it went to -6 degrees then it stopped I just held my finger on it for 20 seconds and it did not cut off
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

To turn it off you just need to press the freezer down button till it shows - on both the fridge and freezer setting.

Thats how this is turned off

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did what you said and the numbers on the thermostat did not move. I held the negative sign down on both the freezer and the refrigerator and individually for at least 15 to 20 seconds each and it did not turn the refrigerator off so how do I turn the refrigerator off
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 months ago.

If its not turning off by the controls at the top and the only way to turn it off is pull the plug from the outlet. Thats the only other way.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Request refund as not satisfied