Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 2003 Kenmore side by side refrigerator. Icemaker

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Kenmore side by side refrigerator. Icemaker works fine as to making ice but you have two options for removing ice: cubes or crushed. When ask for cubes only get crushed. Get crushed also when pushing the crushed button. Not sure how to stop the crushiong action.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2003. Model No. 253.53723300
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would like to but don't understand the sequence to get cubes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: When this has happened in the past the instructions we got was to empty the ice collection bin, let it warm up and make sure no ice stuck in the crushing mechanism. Then put back in place, let it get cold then turn on the icemaker. This approach has worked in the past but not this time.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

The cubed and crushed ice is changed by the metal rod that runs along the bottom of the ice bin. When the rod is pulled up, it makes cubed ice. When it sits down it makes crushed ice. Make sure that the rod is not damaged and if it seems to want to pull down on it's own, then that's good. The solenoid where the rod pushes into next to the auger motor is the part that pulls the rod up and down. That solenoid would need to be replaced unless you see anything that you can physically fix (for instance the piston fell out of the solenoid and you can re-insert it.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.