Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My new kitchen aid fridge stopped working but the freezer

still works. I have tried...
My new kitchen aid fridge stopped working but the freezer still works. I have tried shutting it off and on- other suggestions?
How long for a response??
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/9/2017
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Can you post the model number please.

Also how old is it? Is it a brand new unit?

6 months old. Where is the model number?
Krff302ess01

Thanks for that.

As this is a full frost free appliance so basically the fridge gets its cooling from the freezer. The fan inside the freezer blows cold air into the fridge section.

So if the freezer is fine but the fridge isn't then its either the fan in the freezer is faulty or the evaporator in the freezer is blocked with ice and has stopped the air flow.

Now theres 2 ways to clear this. The easyist way is to full defrost the appliance. Turn off and leave the freezer door open for 24 hours. This will allow the ice to melt.

Or you can empty the freezer and remove the evaporator tray in the freezer at the top and drop it down. Then you can use a hairdryer to defrost it. Now this way is more harder as if its blocked with ice its not easy to remove the panels.

Once its defrost then see how it goes from there. It should get back to normal again from there.

But if it does it again in say 2-3 weeks then it has a defrost fault. Either the defrost heater, thermal cut out or control unit can be at fault here causeing this.

But try the defrost first and see how it goes. Fingers crossed this will get it going again.

Freezer still says 0 and still seems to be working.
There is no build up of frost so I wonder if it is the fan

Ok if theres no ice on the evaporator then its possibley the fan in there not running or the air damper inside the fridge. As the air damper is like a gate that opens up to allow the cold air to enter the fridge section.

So if you find the fan is running ok then its possibely the air damper. This is located inside the fridge section at the top behind the covers.

In the freezer? This would be easier over the phone

Im afraid i cannot do the phone request at this moment of time.

But the fan is located in the freezer so as you have the back panel off to be able to see the evaporator wasnt iced up then you will see the fan motor there.

What back panel- I will send a picture

I assumed you have removed the back panel inside the freezer as you said there was no ice in there.

If you havent then you need to do that and check for an ice build up on the freezer evaporator unit.

Did you get the picture? Which back panel are you referring to?

No, Ive not got anything.

The back panel i reffer to is the one inside the freezer itself.

So you need to empty the freezer and lift the door off and then you can see the back panel inside the freezer itself.

I am really not sure what you mean by lift the door off. I can't get the shelves out and can't reach the back panel

Ok to be honest on this then you will be best doing the 24 hour defrost as this way you dont have to remove any panels or anything like this.

Just run the freezer food down and when your ready turn the appliance off for 24 hours and leave the freezer door open a bit. This will melt the ice in there.

But as its only 6 months old the i assume you still have a warrenty on it. So give them a bell and im sure they will call out and sort it for you under the warrenty.

Ok

No worries.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, Service Technician
Phone call session started
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician