Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Amana Refrigerator is not working The freezer is working,

as are lights . what...
My Amana Refrigerator is not working The freezer is working, as are lights . what do I s=do to get it working again it is and
Amana BX21 from 2000
7/6/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the entire back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

It is the refrigerator part not the freezer is there a panel there too?

Nope, nothing in the refrigerator. I understand the refrigerator is the part having issues but you need to remove the back panel inside the freezer and tell me what you see.

Panel is off and the coils have ice on left 1/3 and all the way across. I cannot call from this computer do you have a number or mine is(###) ###-####Thanks

Is the fan above the coils running? And are you saying that the coils are packed with ice and frost? Or just lightly frosted with 1/16" layer of frost?

Fan is running Most of it is packed with ice
Ice is on the left edge

OK perfect. So that is your problem. The unit isn't defrosting properly anymore which stops air from the freezer going up to the refrigerator. The refrigerator just cools by stealing air from the freezer. You would need a multimeter to test continuity through the defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the silver coils as well as the 1" round defrost thermostat clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part does not have continuity, it needs to be replaced. If you don't have a multimeter to test, just replace the defrost thermostat as that is by far the most likely part to fail. Below is a link to the part

CLICK HERE for defrost thermostat

In the mean time, use a hair dryer and thaw all the ice and frost. Put a towel below the coils to soak up most of the water. After everything is thawed, the unit will work for a week or two while you wait for the replacement part.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Thank you for the information If it doesn't work we will be in touch>Have ordered part

OK sounds good. Good luck!