Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Refrigerator and freezer are cold but freezer is not

freezing. JA: What's the make and...
Refrigerator and freezer are cold but freezer is not freezing.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Kenmore, 596.69142992. Late 1990's.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Checked and cleaned fan and it is working. Coils are clean.
6/26/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Hello Tyler. Sorry about the delay. Work calls. The coils are not frosted at all. There is no fan above the coils but the fan on the back is running and blowing semi-warm air into the
freezer right now. It is blowing cold air into the fridge and has been blowing some cold (but not freezing air into the freezer.

That's already. OK this is a big problem. The coils should be lightly frosted from top to bottom. If they are not, it means that you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. These are not things you can fix yourself. You would need a technician to come out and tap into the system to check your pressure on the low side. If you're low on a freon, a leak repair costs about $450. If your compressor is inefficient, a new compressor costs about $650 so neither option is inexpensive I'm sorry to say and may not be worth repairing. That is completely up to you however.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc