Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE 5 burner gas top that is not sparking to light the gas. I…

GE 5 burner gas cook...
GE 5 burner gas cook top that is not sparking to light the gas. I am get 120 volts to the unit but no spark. Went ahead and bought a switch harness and spark module. So what I did first was unhooked spark module and hooked the new one up with ONLY the back left burner wires and replaced the burner parts and turned on that switch but still no spark. I then took the new switch harness and hooked it up WITHOUT putting the switch's on valve's and just turned the switch's with a screwdriver and still no spark. I see there is a small transformer going from the power to the switches. Is there a way to test the transformer. It looks like a low volt transformer but not sure. The sticker on the part is unreadable. I did buy these from a local parts place that told me if the parts show that it has been installed I cant return them. So I am trying keep any wear from showing so I can return them if needed, That's why I am not installing the parts all the way. Thanks for any help.
6/21/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

ZGU385NSM1SS

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Its that darn transformer then. No resistance on the brown wires. I figured the most since that was the only thing I didn't try. I was afraid the spark module needed to be completely hooked up for grounding purpose.

Ah crap, well, at least you know! :)

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Morning Kelly, I got a new transformer for the cook top but the transformer got very hot and you can smell a burning smell. Can you tell can if any of the other parts cause the transformer to go bad. Thanks

What voltage is going into the transformer?

Its 120.

So it would have to be a short in one of the load wires then. See any issues with them at all?

when you say load wire. You talking about the incoming wires to the transformer?

All other wires other than the two that bring power to the transformer.

Let make sure I have this all straight . Power comes to the transformer then to the switch's then to the spark module correct?

The entire service manual is attached.

Awesome. Thanks .

You bet, figured that would make it easier for you.

Kelly, Appliance Technician