Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My GE space maker II microwave (only 3 yrs old) does not

Customer Question
power up. Blown fuse...
My GE space maker II microwave (only 3 yrs old) does not power up. Blown fuse. Can u send directions on fuse replacement?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 3years old. Space maker II
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Y
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope. I am an electrical engineer. Instructions for fuse replacement, please.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Appliance
6/17/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 5 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information? The tag is around the oven opening once the door is opened.

JEM31SF01

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

See diagram at the link below. Remove the number 18 cabinet (screws out of back and bottom edge, slide cover back and lift off). Fuse is at the top, just above the control, shown as number 1 in the diagram. It is a 15 amp ceramic microwave fuse.

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Confirmed that 15a fuse blown. Will replace after trip to hardware store and get nack to you with result. Thx.

Nice work!

Humm... Either the fuse I bought was broken or it blew right away without any indication of initial power, noise or anything. I wish I had tested the new fuse first. Any ideas?

That would usually only happen if the monitor switch in the door switch assembly was shorted, number 22. Did you get a microwave fuse, ceramic and not glass?

Ceramic, identical to old guse

Okay, so either the fuse was broken to begin with or the monitor switch is faulty. I would replace that switch and the fuse.

I would have simply purchased a new mw but could not fine one of same dimensionto fill hole above oven.The transformer looks a little crusty. Maybe that's the issue.

It would not blow the fuse until you start a cook cycle. If it blows before starting, it is that monitor switch.

What is the cost of a monitor switch? Where do I get one? How difficult to repair?

The link below is to the part you will need. It snaps into place along the door switch bracket. The wires will just unplug. It is different from the other two switches, so you really can't get it mixed up.

CLICK HERE

OK. Ordered the part. Sure hope it fixed the problem!

Should be good to go soon!

The part arrived. Its called a "lever switch" but is is merely a small piece of white plastic. There are no wires associated with it. I can send a photo (if this app allows me to), but I'm not sure this is the right part.
I do not have the microwave oven with me to look inside -- but will get it tomorrow or Sat to work on again. But I'm not convinced that the piece of plastic that arrived will help.
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago

It won't if it is not a micro switch. The part number in the model lookup must be incorrect. I will call GE to verify that part number.

Nope. Its not a microswitch.

On hold with GE right now. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The part number you need is below. You can find a generic switch like that at Radio Shack or other electronic store if you have one nearby.

CLICK HERE

Will GE credit me for sending (and billing) me the wrong part ordered previously? Unless you are confident this will fix the problem, probably should not invest too much more. How can a stuck open (or stuck closed) switch account for the blown fuse?

That switch is designed to blow the fuse if the other door switches are closed when that one is closed. It prevents the microwave from operating with the door open.

OK so your theory is that the switch is stuck in a position indicating an open door condition. Shouldn't that have simply prevented the MW from being powered on ? A correctly operating MW won't operate with the door open -- but it doesn't blow a fuse either. Not sure I get it.

The other two switches have to be closed for the microwave to run while this one has to be open. If the monitor switch is closed at the same time the other ones are, it blows the fuse. It is a fail safe switch.

this is a common way microwave ovens break?

Yes, the door switches fail regularly.

Ok. Ordered part. What do I do about the wrong part that was delivered? Refund?

You can send it back to the place you bought it I would imagine.

STILLwaiting for new part to be delivered!
VERY unhappy. I see charges of $5, $31 and $26.80 on my credit card and NOTHING has been fixed!!! You gave me the wrong part number initially (which I also paid for) and the part I need has not yet even even been sent to me. I did NOT agree to pay anything to you beyond the initial $5 until the microwave was fixed. I am VERY unhappy
Kelly, Appliance Technician