Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I sent my two boards off to be fixed and am now installing

them on a Kitchenaid refrigerator...
I sent my two boards off to be fixed and am now installing them on a Kitchenaid refrigerator. I have one two wire plug that I cannot find where to plug it in. I have gone through everything many times and can't find a plug that matches this one. Help.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2017
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

you are missing digits on the end of the full model number

All I have is Kitchenaid KBFC42FTS
I can send you a picture if you tell me where to send it

can you open the fresh food section door and the model /serial tag is on the interior wall near the top.

And can you tell me what color wires are on this plug ?

to send an attachment use the (paper clip ) icon

KBFC42FTS00Serial number QU2754081
Wires are red and brown on a white two prong plug

The only two wire connection you have on the main control board is the Black /White on the P 8 connector.

This plug may have never been used , the harnesses are not model number specific .

one harness can be used of a number of different models with different components.

Is this harness on the main control board or the display control board ?

It looks like it is coming off the bigger square board which I think is the main control board. As I mentioned I just sent this in to be fixed and am now trying to install it myself
did you see the picture I sent

The photo just populated

The plug is pink and brown.

And it is the defrost thermostat jumper for a servicer to by pass the defrost thermostat during a manual defrost.

it does NOT plug into anything ! it is for Servicer testing only

Ok. so I am good to leave it. How many ground wires should there be. The original technician cut off one of the ground wires and it is now pretty short so I thought I would just wire it into the other ground wires that were on a wire nut. That ok?
You should be able to see them just left of the plug we've been discussing

one is all you need ,but just use a wire nut and tie them all together just like they are.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

Ok. Thanks. Keep your fingers crossed when I plug it in. The technical also shut down the water to the ice maker somehow last time at the valve inside the freezer I think because the bad board that was installed kept sending water to the ice maker and it was overflowing big time. How do I turn that back on?

there is no turn off for the water inlet valve on the unit .

The only way to stop voltage going to it is to just unplug the harness on the water valve itself so that it can not get electricity.

So you should just have to plug the harness back on the valve solenoid coil .

Looks like there s a plastic slide switch on the the front of the ice maker drawer. Maybe that is all he did was slide it to off? We will give that a try once things have come up to temp. Seems like fan is working and I think the compressor is on. Lights are all working now which weren't before so we'll see if all get's cold

ok that slide switch turns off the icemaker ,not the water valve.

If they turned off the icemaker then it would not call for water during a harvest cycle because the ice maker was dead.

We spoke yesterday about my fridge/freezer. Everything seems to be working except the lights don't come on when opening the left door although they do when opening the right. In addition, the ice maker dumped one set of cubes but that is all. It hasn't made any additional ice. Any thoughts on fixes for these issues?

check the left side door switch (near the top liner inside the fresh food section(.

And the icemaker will ONLY cycle and dump cubes once the internal thermostat reaches a temperature of 15 degrees . can you tell me the freezer internal temperature at this time?

and do yo have any food items in the freezer at this time?

The freezer inside temp is 0. The fridge is 38 degrees. I will check the left side door switch if I can find it. Could it be one of the plugs that I did something wrong when plugging back in?As I mentioned the ice maker made one set of ice and then that was it. When the technician came out 10 days ago and put the wrong part in water was pouring out of the ice maker into the drawer and the bottom of the freezer. He did something to stop it I'm just not sure what

will not be a connection on the control board if the right door turns the light on .

The only on off the icemaker has is that slide switch .

We know he did not turn the water off because it filled once.

How much food is in the freezer?

I could not find the left side door switch. I looked everywhere. Is there something that could be unplugged in the ice maker section that he might have done to stop the water flow the last time that I just need to plug back in?Only a few items in the freezer. Could be easily removed

oh sorry this model has the door switches on top of the unit under the door hinge cover.

If you have very few items in the freezer it is going to take a long time for the freezer to reach that 15 degrees for the icemaker to cycle.

If nothing else put several milk jugs or pitchers of water in the freezer.

The freezer is just like a glass of water the more ice in the glass the colder the water will get.

There was one plug where there were two leads. I couldn't tell which lead went to which side so I just plugged them in. Not sure if maybe those are switched or if switching them would make any difference.I found a switch at the top of the fridge but the light comes on when the door on the right is opened about 45 degrees. The left door doesn't make a difference as no lights come on when opening that door. I also don't see any lights in the drawers themselves and I believe they have lights.

each door has its own switch so check the left hinge for the left door

That makes sense but it made ice one time and than stopped. Wouldn't it have to be cold enough the first time to freeze the water for the ice and the temp gauge reads zero

I just show two light bulbs for the fresh food section ,no crisper lights

Can you look or feel inside the icemaker mold and tell me do you feel any ice or water?

no ice or water in the ice maker

ok that means that the water valve did not energize during the last fill mode or the water supply is turned off .

does this model have a chilled water dispenser ? if so do you get water out of the dispenser?

No chilled water. I believe the water supply is in the back of the unit and the technician did not pull out the unit to cut it off. I was there the whole time. It is a built in fridge and not easily moved so if it was cut off it was cut off somewhere else.Keep in mind that when we first turned it on after the wrong part was installed the unit started pouring water into the ice maker with no stopping it. He had to have done something to stop that I just don't know what he did. Also not sure how the unit after being unplugged for almost a month was able to make one set of ice cubes and then nothing else.
I also don't hear the water filling the ice trays as I always would when it was running and making ice properly.

did the service tech do anything under the unit? removing the front kick plate

Maybe. I really can't remember. Is there a shut off down there?

the water valve is down there the tech may have pulled the harness off the calve to get it to turn the water off when it was constantly filling .

Or the refrigerator shut off should be on one side or the other in the cabinets next to the unit.

I pulled off the plate and don't see anything down there. One grey wire and no harnesses that I can see. I don't think that is the answer. I did change out the water filter and when I plugged it in it sounded as it it was filling with water and the old filter had water in it. it was time and I wanted to see if maybe the issue was a plugged filter. Jim.

when you plugged the water filter in or the unit electrically?

And was the filter changed since the control board was installed?

No. When I changed the control board the original filter was there and still was until I changed it just a few minutes ago.

ok when you replace the filter no water should run into it unless you called for chilled water or unless the icemaker cycled.

that is the only way water will come into the refrigerator.

I think you need to contact the last servicer to see how they got the water to stop filling the icemaker last time they were out.

Because you now have more of an issue then just asking how to install the control board.

Which I did assist you on that matter.

I can't get a call back from that technician. May be in part due that he owes me money on a refund of the bad part

ok then I would recommend calling another authorized service to give you a hands on diagnostics.

I have answered your original question on how to install the control board!

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech