John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My kitchen aid ice maker stopped making ice. bin is empty. i

Customer Question

my kitchen aid ice maker stopped making ice. bin is empty. i turned it off then on and it started producing ice again but only for a short while,
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 4 years old. Model: KUIC15PRXS 3
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if i can, yes. i did replace the "thermostat" within the last year or so. could that be the issue again?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that i can think of...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

When it stops making ice, what is running on the icemaker? Is water circulating? Is the fan underneath running etc.?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe water was circulated (I can hear something), not sure about the fan. I turned the thing off again this morning after I woke up to no ice in the bin

Okay, here is what to look for so we can find the issue. Is water circulating? Is there a slab of ice visible above the cutter grid? It may be only part way off the cooling plate. Is the fan blowing air out the left side in the front? Let me know what happens after it stops making ice.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
water is circulating. no ice is visible. fan appears to be running...(I can't see the fan but can feel warm air coming from the left lower front

So far that is normal. If all continues the slab of ice should drop to the cutter grid in 15 to 25 minutes after water starts to circulate. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok. it did make ice. dropped thru the cutter grid to the bin. what happened yesterday was....that was it. it made ice for a cycle or 2-3+ then quit. this morning the bin was completely ice free. could it be the thermostat (that I replaced not to long ago)?

Your icemaker has two thermistors. One on the side of the bin and one under the evaporator. Which one did you replace?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced the one on the side of the bin

If that one was a problem it would not run at all. We will need to wait until it stops again and see what is or isn’t doing. Can you let me know in a while?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can hear ice dropping into the bin right now (8:42 AM CDT)

I will check back in a while.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok. It's now approximately 5:00 PM CDT...over 8 hours since I restarted my ice maker. There is a very small amount of ice in the bin. I hear the water circulate/drain from time to time. but it's just not making ice at the appropriate pace. suggestions??

I suspect it is trying to harvest but the ice slab is not dropping off the cooling plate. Can you shine a flashlight up through the cutter grid, (if there is no ice there) and see if there is a thick slab on the cooling plate? If there is a slab on the cutting wires is it a full square slab? It should drop a slab every 25 minutes or less.