Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool side by side and the ice maker is making

Hi, I have a Whirlpool side by side and the ice maker is making ice cubes and dumping them in the ice bind. When I try to get any out of the door I here the turning noise. It sounds like that the ice is froozn in the down shoot. I have tried to clean the ice out of the shout that should dump in into the glass. What is wrong? What can I do about it?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Sons got it for Christmas 12/19/2014, model# *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We are on a fixed income, I'm 76 and my husband is 82 and had a stroke 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Probably the best thing you can do is remove the ice bucket and dump it out into another container. use a hair dryer and thaw out any ice in the ice chute below the bucket and run hot water through the bucket to make sure it's clear. If you still get the same noise when you re-install the bucket and put ice back in it then you need to replace your auger motor because it has failed I'm sorry to say.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** was the very best that i received, You told me the most sensible way to start, to see if it is a easy fix! Also what the next step would be. Thank you very much, we have had it about 2 years and we really like the ice and water in the door. I miss it a lot!

No problem and I'm glad I could help!