Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrigerator would not run so i replaced the compressor

Customer Question

Hi... my refrigerator would not run so i replaced the compressor inverter box and the compressor unit ran and cooled. but now the condenser fan motor is cycling on and off from the controller which beeps every time the fan cycles. do i have a bad controller?
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: mod KSBS25IVBL00.. i think about 5 or 6 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nothing really. The unit would not do anything until i replaced the invertor box but now have that additional problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Unfortuately yes. My own refrigerator just experienced this failure 2 weeks ago. The main control board failed first and it stops the fan from running which causes the compressor to overheat. The inverter is next to the compressor so the inverter overheats and fails and then the compressor won't come on at all and neither does the fan. You replaced the inverter but you need to unplug the refrigerator and leave it off until you replace the main control board (located in the far back right corner under the refrigerator in a sheet metal box). This board is no longer made because the factory in Japan that used to make it was destroyed by the tsunami in 2011 so now you have to send the old board into a place like Core Centric Solutions which costs about $185 and takes about 1 weeks to get the part refurbished.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?