Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Bathrobe belt caught under agitator. Won't pull out. Just

Customer Question

Bathrobe belt caught under agitator. Won't pull out.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just now.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Doubt we can since we have tried several times to pull it out.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. Washer is two years old and in perfect shape.
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Maytag model #MVWC200XW3
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 month ago.

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and prepare your answer. Thank you for your patience.

Below I have linked the instructions to pull out the agitator on that model, once you have it out you can remove the robe and put the agitator back in, fairly easy fix.

click here for instructions to remove agitator.

If you need anything else just let me know in the meantime please rate my assistance by clicking on the star rating system at the top right of your question page. You will see a set of 5 empty stars 1 being the worst and 5 being the best, ***** ***** I have earned a 5 star rating. After you rate I will continue to help if needed any follow up questions will still be answered and there will be no further charges incurred. Please keep in mind we experts that take the time to help you are not compensated for our time unless you rate so it means a lot to us even though it may seem like a unnecessary hassle to you so please do not put this off and just take a moment to take care of this. Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Agitator won't turn after removal of clothing. Machine fills and then goes to empty. Agitator very hard to turn by hand.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon I see you requested a new expert and I can help you with your issue, but unfortunately I have bad news for you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

If you removed the robe and it was tangled up under the agitator, it sounds like it caused too much resistance and caused the gear box to fail. This is the transmission that the shaft of the agitator comes from. It's all one assembly and they don't sell parts so it doesn't matter what failed internally, the entire gear box would need to be replaced. Below is a link to the part you'd need to replace as well as a video on how to replace it if you wanted to try that yourself.

CLICK HERE for part

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

I'm very sorry about the bad news.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?