Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a bosch microwave that is shutting down after 26

Customer Question

hi we have a bosch microwave that is shutting down after 26 seconds.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 5 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: it is an HMT35M653A no we are just tyring to establish whether it is worth getting fixed or replacing
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no it just keeps restting after 26 seconds and is not heating
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

When the unit stops after 26 seconds on this microwave, it can be caused from several things but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove all the screws around the outer shell of the microwave and the outer shell of the microwave will pull straight back, up, and off. This will give you access to the door switches through the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up. Both parts cost about $100-150 so it's normally not worth repairing if the door switches all check good.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.