Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

OUR UPRIGHT FRIGIDAIRE HAD AN ALARM AND DISPLAYS THE RED

OUR UPRIGHT FRIGIDAIRE HAD AN ALARM AND DISPLAYS THE RED LIGHT FOR HIGH TEMP!
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: ITS ABOUT 4 YEARS OLD. ALL IT SAYS IS FRIGIDAIRE ON FRONT. IT HAS A SMALL PANAL ON TOP LEFT SIDE THAT DISPLAYS THE RED LIGHT FOR HIG TEMP AND IN THAT PANAL BELOW IT HAS HOLD TO LOCK
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: IF ITS AFFORDABLE!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: WHAT DO I NEED TO REPLACE. IT IS THAWING OUT ALL OVER THE GARAGE.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
GREAT.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
IS THE $24 FOR A CALL IN ADDITIONAL TO THE AMOUNT FOR THE CHAT THAT THEY SHOWED?

Yes, the phone option is an additional $24 if you wanted that option. Or we can just keep chatting. That is an option the site automatically sends you but you can decline that.

If the red light is on for high temp, the first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK! We will di that and get back to you. I tried unpluggin it and pluggin it back in already.

ok good luck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I wanted to let you know we did not have time last night to take apart the freezer, but plan to tonight or tomorrow am, so once we get the chance to take it apart and look at it we will let you know what it looks like. I am keeping the chat up until we get this done. Hope that is not a problem.

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello. Sorry it took so long my husband finally took it apart and the upper coils are frozen but the lower coils are not stuff in there is staying frozen as long as it's on the high shelves and everything on the lower shelves defrosted

Unfortunately that means you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor--not something you can fix yourself. The coils should be lightly frosted from top to bottom so if they aren't lightly frosted from top to bottom, you need to call a technician out to check the freon pressure to know if you have a freon leak or a bad compressor. A freon leak is about $450 to have repaired and a new compressor is about $650 so it may not be worth fixing either way, but that's completely up to you of course.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.