Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have a whirlpool sm-8252146-a washer that will wash

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool sm-8252146-a washer that will wash clothes, but won't spin for the spin cycle
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Sorry, transposed numbers.....
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Sm-8525146-a
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Doing it myself
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 month ago.

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

The model number you listed is not a valid model number, open the lid on the washer and look toward the back on the frame and you will see a tag that has the model number and serial number listed on it, please send me that model number, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I looked again and the model number is ***** I sent the correct model number in the beginning chat before I paid. I'm fixing this myself.The washer will wash, just won't do the spin cycle

It's probably just a bad lid switch, its a safety switch so that the unit does not spin or stops spinning when the lid is raised so when it goes out the unit will do everything but spin. The replacement switch is below along with a video showing how to replace it.

Washer Lid Switch Assembly

Part #:(###) ###-####- click here

Here is a video that shows how to replace it - click here to watch video

If you need anything else just let me know in the meantime please rate my assistance by clicking on the star rating system at the top right of your question page. You will see a set of 5 empty stars 1 being the worst and 5 being the best, ***** ***** I have earned a 5 star rating. After you rate I will continue to help if needed any follow up questions will still be answered and there will be no further charges incurred. Please keep in mind we experts that take the time to help you are not compensated for our time unless you rate so it means a lot to us even though it may seem like a unnecessary hassle to you so please do not put this off and just take a moment to take care of this. Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll replace it. But why would the washer go through the entire cycle, agitating, rinsing, etc, but it won't spin during the spin cycle?

like I said before that switch is a safety switch so that when the lid is raised the unit either stops spinning if it is or will not spin while its raised so that young kids or whatever can't get hurt and that is the only thing that it kills is the spin circuit everything else will work normally as it should the only thing it won't do is spin.

Hi there,
I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?