Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The top lights in my GE Monogram built in refrigerator went…

The top lights in...

The top lights in my GE Monogram built in refrigerator went out. It is only 2.5 years old. The model number is ***** Pretty short period of time and it's not covered under warranty per the owners manual

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I think I just provided you with both pieces of information. Read my post again

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes - why pay a technician

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If the lights inside the refrigerator aren't turning on, first flip the circuit breaker off to the refrigerator to cut power completely. If the door was left open for too long, the unit will go into liner protection mode and the lights won't turn on again until you reset power. Now if you turn the breaker off for 5 minutes and turn it back on and the lights still don't turn on, either your door switch has failed or the control board has failed. Below is a link to the door switch you'd need to order and replace for your model.

CLICK HERE for door switch

Locate this near the top of the refrigerator. You would have to pry out the door switch with a putty knife or something and test the switch with a multimeter to see if it still works or not. If it's not working, then it needs to be replaced. If the switch is working, the main control board up by the compressor area needs to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The top lights did not come back on. The back lights work and never stopped working so I question if it is the door switch. When I press it the back light go off but the top lights do not. What's next
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The back lights do not come on....to clarify my last post

I apologize, I didn't realize other lights were still on inside the refrigerator. If some lights turn on and others don't, then the light board has failed. This unit has LED light boards so they are individual control board and whatever lights aren't coming on---that entire light board in the ceiling needs to be replaced so below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for light board

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc