Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a kenmore side by side refrigerator purchased in

Customer Question

we have a kenmore side by side refrigerator purchased in 2003. We have sears send us the filter replacements here to our home. We have always replaced our filters ourselves with no problem. Yesterday we tried to chane the filter and it kept popping back out of the casing. We tried several new filters and the problem is with the unit itself. Please advise.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: bought in 2003, model# *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if we can, yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Well the ice cube dispenser has not worked in quite some time, years. We just open freezer door and scoop.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately it sounds like the filter receptacle isn't aligning properly with the filter and either the pressure is building up causing it to pop out, or the latch which holds the filter in isn't securing the filter properly. Either way, the filter receptacle needs to be replaced so below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for filter receptacle

As for your icemaker not working, you'll have to check this after you fix the filter problem. Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. You can also make sure it's not frozen by disconnect the water line coming from the icemaker and going to the valve at the valve. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you a sears technician? I went to their website and I dont recall needing to pay for an answer or help?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you a sears technician?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

They do not provide technical service to customers for free anymore. They use our service where we have been factory trained to answer your questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would like to have my charges reversed as I dont believe I am talking with Sears.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

You have already received your answer to your question.