Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Amana refrig model art2105bb. the freezer is not running

Customer Question
cold enough to freeze ice...
amana refrig model art2105bb. the freezer is not running cold enough to freeze ice cream. meat frozen any suggestions?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: ART2105BB about 13 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
5/15/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the entire back panel inside the freezer. That includes removing the shelf and the icemaker if you have that option. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

If the fan isn't running, you need to replace it.

If the coils are completely packed with frost, you have a defrost problem. You'll need to thaw out all the frost with a hair dryer and use a multimeter to test continuity through the defrost heater. If the heater has no continuity then replace it, otherwise replace the 1" round thermostat on the top of the silver coils which is your defrost thermostat.

lastly, if the coils are only partially frosted or no frost at all, you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. You'd need a technician to check the freon pressure on the low side to determine which issue you have but neither are inexpensive options. A freon leak is about $450 to repair and a new compressor is $650.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Can't get shelves out. they are suck in the walls of freezer.
better at reading it

There is usually a plastic clip on one or two of the shelf legs going into the wall. Heat up this clip with a hair dryer, then pry the clip off. Now the shelf will push further into the wall hole so you can lift the shelf up and out on the opposite side.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc