John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I type slow, I have a 3150 norcold in my RV. IT GIVES ME A

Customer Question

I type slow
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I have a 3150 norcold in my RV. IT GIVES ME A CODE 6 when i try to operate it on battery with the engine running. If i put in automatic, it switches to gas mode. If i turn the gas flow off, it stays on gas mode. It seems to think its working OK. no alarm sounds. How can i get to work on battery?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: It a 2015 model year mercedes chassis. It has never acted this way before.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on complications in the effort.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: All other modes work fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

That means no cooling is detected if it does not work on gas or electric you likely have an issue with the cooling unit, check it out and see and get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When the engine is not running it does not attempt to run on battery and everything works fine and normally. It is a Norcold model 5130. When the engine is running, it switches to battery and then back to gas and works normally on gas. If i manually switch to battery, i get a picture of a wrench with a number 6. And it does not operate in battery mode.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The cooling unit works fine. There is only one problem. It does not work on battery when the engine is running. If I select automatic mode manually with the engine running, it switches to gas on its own. If I select automatic mode "A", and there is no electric available and the gas is turned off at the electric shutoff valve, the refrigerator switches to gas and operates just fine. I can see the burner running under the heater. Since in both cases, the engine was running, the refrigerator should be on battery. When I manually switch to battery with the engine running, I get a picture of a wrench and a number 6 displayed. There is an "engine running" signal that gets into the control module, probally through a fuse, that's not getting there. I do not know which wire or fuse provides that signal. Perhaps you can tell me where to find that wire and fuse. Those are two essential components of the "fix" for this problem. Again, there is no issue with the cooling unit.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The schematic in the owner's manual says there is a resetable fuse and a wire that puts an "engine running" signal into the control box. If you tell me where to find the fuse, I can probably do a reset on it. I have already paid my $28 for an answer. I own a 2015 Winnebago View on a mercedes Sprinter chassis.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello. Is this thing working? Anybody home? See previous messages above⬆️