Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE Propfile frige is 14 yrs. old but now it keeps

Customer Question

my GE Propfile frige is 14 yrs. old but now it keeps running
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model PDS22MCPABB if I unplug it for 24 hours it will for 3-4 months & then the same thing happens, I know it has a problem but I'm short on money I had open heart surgery & they found cancer so I'm dealing with a few issues, I was wondering if I could get a part & have my husband put it on or is that not possible?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

If unplugging the refrigerator for 24 hours fixes the issue, it sounds like you likely have a problem with the refrigerator not defrosting properly. The first thing I'd do is pull the refrigerator out, remove the lower back access panel, and clean the condenser coils next to the fan because if they are clogged with lint and dust then the compressor can overheat over time and that can cause this scenario also. Then just plug the unit back in and wait to see if the issue comes back. If it does come back, remove the entire back panel INSIDE the freezer. There is a white plastic bullet about 1" long clipped onto the top of the silver coils. This is your defrost thermistor sensor. It only costs about $10. If the coils are completely packed with frost and ice, you'll want to thaw them out with a hair dryer and replace this sensor because it's preventing the air from circulating properly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?