Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

Ice maker in Frigidaire Gallery #FGHB2878LE3 not working.

Customer Question

Ice maker in Frigidaire Gallery #FGHB2878LE3 not working. Evaporator coil frozen. Water supply good.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: About 5 yrs old. Gallery 2 door w/freezer on bottom. Believe the serial # is what I put in previous frame.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Hopefully
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Would like to know the probable cause of this and what needs to be replaced.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Is the coil being frozen all that you are dealing with or is it not working at all? If its just frozen you are going to need to defrost it with a blow dryer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As CLEARLY stated above, it DOES NOT WORK. Does not make ice, no water comes out either. Want to know what part may have failed to cause this problem. We replaced the evaporator fan about a month ago when the temperature went up and an error code was sent indicating the evaporator fan. At this time the coil and surrounding area were frozen solid as well. As this has happened again, it leads me to believe that the previous problem originated with the ice maker as well. Regardless whether just the coil is frozen or the entire unit is not working, defrosting the coil DOES NOT solve the problem which led to this occurring in the first place. I think that I clearly stated what I need to know in my initial question. What may have failed to cause this to happen? What do I need to replace? If you cannot answer this, just tell me so that I don't waste any more of our time.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I do not want a phone call at this point as I see that that will cost me MORE MONEY. Better yet let's just drop the whole issue as I can see that this is just a scam to ring up a big bill.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

I was just making sure if it was the ice maker only or the whole unit or what it was that was going on. I did not want to give you wrong advice. First off does the display light up at all? If it does its a possibly that the problem is related to the water inlet valve.