John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Dishes aren't as clean as they were. 1 wk, probably, but

Customer Question

Dishes aren't as clean as they were.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1 wk
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: probably, but depends
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I was thinking it was the water level not filling up to the element. So I replaced the water inlet vlave, but no change in water level.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: 1 month. It is all relative. It is not a problem if you wash the dishes pretty well before putting them in, but that seems to defeat the purpose
Category: Appliance
Expert:  FixAll replied 5 months ago.

well a couple things can cause wash quality to go down . its best to isolate what then diagnose. first does the heater seem to be working. if you open it mid cycle is it nice and steamy and generally hot in there? does the dry cycle work reasonably well? 2 is it the wash pressure? have you cleaned out the filters recently have you ever ran a dishwasher cleaner through it to help remove lime scale and such?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
heater: yes. (Although the water fills to 1/2" below the element)
Steamy: yes
Dry: yes
Wash pressure? How would you determine that? It sounds as loud (meaning water velocity)
I have recently cleaned under the bottom hub/arm completely.
No, I have never used a dishwasher cleaner...Is the lime and scale in the internal circulation, i.e. not visible? And the dishwasher cleaner cleans that area?
Expert:  FixAll replied 5 months ago.

no its typically not visable but some scaling would be on the element to give you an idea of whats going on in rest of it. lemon lime kool aid packets do a great job cleaning and cheap

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The insides look fairly clean, except crevices. No scale build up on element, but I can try a cleaner. Is the water fill at the start supposed to reach the element? or just hit the element as it gets sprayed?
Expert:  FixAll replied 5 months ago.

I think the water level should be higher honestly. but its a timed fill with the float valve to prevent overflow. so really the only thing affecting water level is the incoming pressure if the inlet valve has already been replaced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yeah...That's what I thought. I am going to ask a few neighbors to peek into their DW to see how deep it gets and how long the water pump runs (i.e. could it be the timer?)
Expert:  FixAll replied 5 months ago.

yeah I suppose it could be the timer if it was doing like a short fill that makes sense. but not sure ive ever seen it honestly. not just in the fill cycle that is.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. Bed time for me. I'll see what I can find out from neighbors tomorrow.
Expert:  FixAll replied 5 months ago.

ok let me know