FixAll
FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen
68072958

Samsung RSG257 refrigerator repair. Freezer side doesn't get

Customer Question

Samsung RSG257 refrigerator repair. Freezer side doesn't get cold
Category: Appliance
Expert:  FixAll replied 4 months ago.

hi I'm logan I'm here to help it sounds as if you evap fan is failing. I don't have your full model number so I couldn't be sure I'm giving you the exact part but what you need is something similar to this da97-06098g that's the assembly it has the fan inside.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. The model is RSG257AARS. What can I do diagnostically to verify that it is indeed the evaporator fan that needs replaced to get the freezer side cold again?
Expert:  FixAll replied 4 months ago.

the best thing you can do is catch it when its not cooling the freezer properly. and see if you can hear the fan running over there. I would typically say open the door and hold the door switch down but I believe this model has magnetic door switchs that are kind of hidden so that makes it a bit more difficult. if its not this problem you are more than likely dealing with a main board failing or a sealed system leak which can be very costly to repair. ok I just checked that is a good part number for this model also.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. I need to head out to dinner. Would like to check out to see if the fan is running per your suggestion. I will look up online to visualize its location. May look into tricking the door to think its closed using a magnet if it's indeed a magnetic switch and I can find the location. May we keep this thread open for me to check this out and respond tomorrow? P.S. Ice maker water line isn't connected (spare refrigerator in garage); assuming that's not an issue.
Expert:  FixAll replied 4 months ago.

yeah sure let me know tomorrow of your findings. the water line wont make any difference.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, Logan. Bill here. Thanks for your patience. I put magnets on the door switches to trick it into thinking door closed (Sabbath mode). Removed the shelves in the freezer side and stuck my head in there to listen. Definitely hear the fan blowing (presumably the Evaporator Fan unless there are multiples) and cool air is blowing out the openings in the back of the freezer. Same thing on the refrigerator side, incidentally, although I think its a separate fan. Does this indicate a functional evaporator fan? If so, what should be checked next to diagnose the fault? Thanks.
Expert:  FixAll replied 4 months ago.

yeah well it means the fan is functioning right now. but did you say it was intermittent? so when you notice the temp spiking you need to do the same.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure I can say intermittent. If I indicated that, I apologize. It had gone warm some time ago and I THINK (not sure) that it briefly got cold again soon thereafter but its definitely remained refrigerator-like temp ever since. Just played with it again. I think that the fan isn't blowing with the door closed. I have a magnet on the top door hinge to trick it into thinking the door is closed (light goes out). With the magnet placed and the door open (after a few seconds), I hear the freezer side fan spin up and blow and feel air coming out of the vents (not ice cold, but cool). If I remove the magnet, the light comes on and the fan stops blowing as expected. With the magnet back in place and the fan blowing, I close the door and hear the fan stop. Then, I open the door (with magnet still in place) and the fan definitely isn't blowing but it starts up again after a few seconds of the door having been opened. Something else sensing the door open/closed is affecting the fan. Thoughts?
Expert:  FixAll replied 4 months ago.

from what you are telling me with the fan it sounds like real bad news. is sounds like you have a sealed system leak. meaning you are low on Freon but not out yet. it has enough to cool to a point but simply cant get the freezer area lower than what it is. the leak could be anywhere but typical leaks form in the evaporators

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How would that explain the seemingly odd activation/deactivation of the freezer fan relative to the door condition? Seems to me that, if the fan indeed doesn't blow with the door physically closed, it has no hope of cooling the freezer. What am I misunderstanding?If a freon leak, how can I verify this?
Expert:  FixAll replied 4 months ago.

you are correct about the fan needing to blow in order to cool. but usually with stalled fan you will get iced up coils a lot of frost and condensation all over the freezer area. I'm not hearing any of that. what I am hearing is only slightly cold air blowing when fan is running. this can be verified by making sure compressor was running awhile and take that panel off back so you can see the coils. if the frost gos clear to the bottom or close to it. you have good Freon levels if not. you have sealed system issues.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will remove back panel and check tomorrow for compressor running for a time and frost on coils all the way to the bottom in the AM and advise.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, Logan. Took the steel lower panel off the back of the refrigerator. Compressor and its nearby fan are both running. Copper lines to/from compressor are not cold (not sure if they should be) and compressor top is warm (which I assume it should be). Opening the freezer side, I've removed the plastic panel against the back wall to expose the aluminum fins, etc. which I assume are the "coils" you instructed me to inspect. They are damp and cool but not cold or frosted at all. Does this verify a coolant leak? If so, suggestions on how to find the leak location? I assume I would solder the hole to repair and then add freon thereafter to complete the repair. Thanks for hanging in there with me.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Update: With the back panel off inside the freezer so I can see the coils, I hit Power Freeze. After about 40 minutes, I see that the coils are frosting up (fan disconnected). Thinking maybe not a freon leak after all? Thoughts and other things to check?
Expert:  FixAll replied 4 months ago.

I dunno if I would say no leak yet. you need to make sure if frosts the entire way down the coils not just partially. and it should not take 40 minutes should frost in under 10 really. you can also see how much of a charge you got by jamming up or disconnectin the condenser fan near the compressor. and see how hot the coils bac there get. within about 15 20 minutes they should be too hot to touch because its drawing the heat from the inside of the fridge out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. The 40 minutes mentioned was just because that's how long I walked away for. The coils in the freezer are cold all the way down. Frost building toward the top of the assembly and condensated water droplets are frozen up throughout, including the bottom. Definitely below freezing surface temperature throughout. Not sure how much more I can comment about the coils "frosting up". I'd say that the frost will continue to build up over time. Bear in mind that I have the unit in power freeze mode (whatever that does) and that the freezer internal fan is disconnected/removed with the back panel. I also stopped the fan that blows on the compressor and, yes, the lines coming/going to the compressor got very hot within minutes. With compressor and freezer fan working, I'm struggling to figure out what's up here. I know you keep pointing to low freon due to a leak (and you're the expert!), but I can't help wondering if there's something else involved.... a thermostat type thing? (admitting that I'm profoundly ignorant here). I welcome suggestions of other things to check/troubleshoot to try to firm up the diagnosis. If, after it all, you really think its freon, would appreciate suggestions on diagnosing/repairing leak &/or recharging. Could the leak be a very slow one over time whereby a freon recharge would fix me for a time? (fridge is 7+ years old). Appreciate your help!
Expert:  FixAll replied 4 months ago.

nah you have just ruled out Freon leak id say. it still could be slightly low. like only enough Freon to sustain the fridge and not the fridge and freezerat same time. but lets assume that's ok for now and assume its electrical. do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Absolutely.
Expert:  FixAll replied 4 months ago.

I'm gonna open this up to other techs

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. Thanks. Not sure what that entails. Standing by for instructions.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What happens now?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please advise. Am I still active?