FixAll
FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen
68072958

I have a GE Profile compactor model GCG1580LOSS and the ram

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile compactor model GCG1580LOSS and the ram stops after clearing the top limit and directional switches. I have tested both switches for continuity and both test fine. What else should I look for?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I purchased the compactor in 2007 i think. I can look up the information on the compactor if you have a minute.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just replaced the top limit switch because it was damaged and prior to that we would have to hold the foot pedal in order for the compactor to comple the cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

If the ram is going up past the limit and directional switch, this means that your start switch in the bottom right corner of the compactor frame where the pedal pushes the switch when you lift it is either getting held in by the pedal, or the switch has failed and needs to be replaced. Try to inspect and see if the switch is being held. If so, you may need to fix the actuator or the pedal that is pushing on the switch. If nothing is holding it, then replace the start switch which is part number WC21X10007.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Tyler,
I may not have posed my question clearly. When I press the start button and the ram starts its downward cycle, the ram stops after clearing the top limit and directional switches. Again the motor stops shortly after the downward cycle starts.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Oh I see, that is different, but the only thing that would cause that is if the top switch or directional switch is miswired or bad. You said you checked the top switch and it's good so the only thing left would be if one of those switches was miswired.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have attached two photos of how the switches are wired. This is how they are shown in the wiring schematic.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry I don't believe I'll be able to assist you here, so I'll opt out, but that will open this question to all other Experts, and someone will be along shortly to assist you

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

good luck

Expert:  FixAll replied 5 months ago.

yeah I agree there are two switches that let this thing know the drawer is shut. those would be suspect in my opinion. one is right on the door. and I believe another is in the rear of the machine. you can wire around these and see if that solves you issue with jumper wires. they are simply safety switches to be sure the drawer is in all the way so it doesn't crush it.