John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Water spilled on Kitchenaid gas cooktop with electric

Customer Question

Water spilled on Kitchenaid gas cooktop with electric ignition, which caused the GFI that controls the circuit to shut everything off. Two days later I still can't reset GFI. Do I need to replace elements in cooktop?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: About 9 years old, and I think it's modelKGCC506.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would like to, if possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I tried resetting the circuit breaker to outlets on that kitchen wall, and I still couldn't reset the GFI. This happened once before when water spilled in burner, but it dried out overnight and I was able to reset GFI.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  FixAll replied 5 months ago.

you still have got water in the main circuit. you can gain access to this from the bottom or the top I believe by removing the burners. it may dry out on its own but could take forever. would make sure breaker is off or unplugged and start removing components from top down drying as you go. these gfi are pretty sensitive so wont take a lot if its grounding the unit out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, that's helpful. I was about to buy a torx screwdriver to remove the burners when they finally dried out (after more than 48 hours). Now I know precisely how sensitive the GFI is.
Expert:  FixAll replied 5 months ago.

great