Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The dishwasher won't start. The light goes right to clean

Customer Question

The dishwasher won't start. The light goes right to clean and no soap is dispensed
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: Bosch Ascents. I don't know how to run a diagnostic test cycle
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I'm hoping it's an easy fix
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've pressed the reset button and it doesn't seem to reset
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

The dishwasher going right to the clean light means that the main control board is detecting that the drain pump or the circulation pump is drawing too much power. The first thing you need to do is start a cycle and listen carefully. The first 30 seconds of the cycle the dishwasher just drains. Then it fill. Then it circulates the water. So if the issue occurs in the first 30 seconds, you need to remove the drain pump and check for any blockages hitting the drain pump impeller and remove any debris you find. If you find nothing, then replace the drain pump.

On the other hand, if the dishwasher just stops after filling and the light is still on, you either have a bad circulation pump or a bad control board. You'd need to uninstall the dishwasher, remove the right side panel, start a cycle and wait until after it fills to test power going to the circulation pump through the right side of the dishwasher. If you're not getting 120 volts down to the pump, then you need a new control board. If you are getting 120 volts, then you'd need a new control board---by far the most likely culprit will be the circulation pump.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?