John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

MIcrowave is making funny noises, the vent works without

Customer Question

MIcrowave is making funny noises, the vent works without noise.
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is 16 yrs old. it is GE microwave , spapcesaver. Model # JVMI1533WD-002 1.5 KW, May 2001
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends on if I can repair it at home.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The vent above the store works fine. The turntable does not work and has not for the last year. The noise justed two day ago. When I returned home and the it did not heat anything, and made a knocking type of noise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  FixAll replied 5 months ago.

if the noise is a loud buzzing type noise. its very possible your magnetron has failed. are you handy with a multi meter. it can be further diag. once removed and dismantled but microwaves can be very dangerous to work on. the magnetron I believe is bout 150 bucks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would it be better to call someone to come & see if it is fixable?
Expert:  FixAll replied 5 months ago.

on a 16 yr old microwave no. the repair will cost as much as replacement. its barely worth it to fix yourself to be honest.