Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE refrigerator Model P512eMGPA-BB--Serial NO.

Customer Question

JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model PS123MGPA-BB
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The cold storage-not the freezer is getting too cold. Have tried adjusting the controls but it does not make any difference. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

So the thermostat inside the refrigerator is all controlled by the damper assembly in the back of the refrigerator just below the ceiling. The thermostat is built into this part which allows the correct amount of air from the freezer to go into the refrigerator. If your refrigerator is too cold and you've turned all the setting warmer but things still freeze, you'd need to replace this part. Below is a link to the damper assembly with thermostat you'd need to order for your model. There is a picture of the damper assembly in the link below so if you're not sure of what part I'm referring to, you can remove everything out of the top shelf in the refrigerator and look at the back wall to see the part you need to replace.

CLICK HERE for damper control assembly

And below is a video that shows you how to replace the part

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?