Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in appliance repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses in England.
15468697

Is the motor bad if washer will not slin, GE WBVH5200J3wW,

Customer Question

Is the motor bad if washer will not slin
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: GE WBVH5200J3wW
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have already checked drainage and belt something is humming I thing it's the motor
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 months ago.

If its draining the water out ok but the washer isnt spinning then its possibley a bad motor.

If you have a test meter you can actually check the motor.

Disconnect the wiring block to the motor and there you will see 5 tags.

Start from the bottom of the block and test the bottom 2 and it should give a contonuity reading.

Then test the next 3 between all 3 of them and if you get a contconuity reading between them then the motor is good.

If the motor is fine but the washer wont work still then its looking like the control board is the fault. As for the drum not to turn its only the motor wiring to the motor or the control board that causes this.

So if you can test the motor then you will be able to see if its faulty. As to be honest these are 3 phase motors and are usually pretty reliable.

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 months ago.

Hi

I see the question is still open here. Do you still need help on this?

If so just get back to me. If not then if you could remember to rate the answer that would be great.

Many thanks