Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher that doesn't seem to cycle. It

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Whirlpool dishwasher that doesn't seem to cycle. It fills with water then does nothing
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2-3 years wdt720padm1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: don't think so
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

If the dishwasher does fill, then the door latch is working and the dishwasher is starting a cycle. Unfortunately that means your circulation pump isn't kicking on for some reason. You'll need to remove the circulation pump and check for debris inside the pump jamming the impeller. If you find nothing then your circulation pump would need to be replaced. These newer Whirlpool dishwashers have been having quite a few issues with their pumps so I wouldn't be surprised if it's bad. Below is a link to the pump and a video that shows you how to replace the pump.

CLICK HERE for pump

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Tyler. Thanks. Does this have anything to do with the drain? Because I can force it to drain with the control pad. Or is this unrelated?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Not at all. The drain pump is a completely separate pump which is why the dishwasher still drains if you force it to cancel and drain.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thanks. I'll take a look. Is this a doable repair for a reasonably handy person?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Yes but it does require uninstalling the dishwasher which is the most difficult part.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thanks. Done that before. Thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

No problem and good luck! Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?