Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a Whirlpool Model GSF26C5EXW00 refrigertaor. Th eica

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Model GSF26C5EXW00 refrigertaor. Th eica make doesn't work. Hve replaced the filter, the ice maker, and the inlet valve. I have cleaned the coils and verified the eletronic level. The ice maker with randonmly produce a batch of ice. Twice the fill function has run without stopping, overflowingthe icemaker, the door. etc. and making a big mess. Got any ideas?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 5 years. The modle number is *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I tried. I have Affordable Appliance Reapir come out and didn't get anywhere.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 4 months ago.

You have replaced the water valve in back so you are familiar with it . Remove the water line from the valve that goes to the ice maker ( it's the smaller diameter line and see if you can blow through it . If you can't this line is frozen and not letting water to the ice maker

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The line isn't frozen, hence the water running out of it. Why wouldn't it shut off? The problem is that it is random. Any other ideas?

Why wouldn't WHAT shut off ? Your question stated the icemaker wasn't working so what is not shutting off ? It is RANDOMLY making ice ??

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Right. The water supply to the icemaker has overflowed the icemaker twice. Once when we put some cubes in the bin for storage and once after I had pushed the refrigerator back in place. Seems totally random. It will make a batch on occasion, but usually waits 2 - 3 days or longer. When we had the tech out, he went though what I would call the "dashboard diagnostics" and didn't seem to find anything. As soon as he finished, the icemaker filled and produced a batch of ice. Viola. Similar to when you take your car to the mechanic and that sound you heard won't re-appear. Hasn't made another batch since until it overflowed Sunday night. Maybe I need an exorcist.

I know you've replaced the ice maker but everything is pointing to it - not making ice , stalling occasionally while in fill. It is new , so take it back and try another ( it's under warranty )