Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I am having a problem getting my duet washer to start. The

Customer Question

I am having a problem getting my duet washer to start. The lights come on, i.e., settings, temperature,etc. but when I hit the Hold to Start button nothing happens. I am thinking that there is a problem with the Hold To Start button as it is slightly askew and when I press it I feel that I am no getting it to start. I was thinking about removing the Hold to Start button (don't have a clue how to do this) but know better to not do anything without a technician's recommendation. Can you help me? Do I need I need to schedule a service call? Thanks in advance.
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I hoped you would not not have asked me this. I think that I have owned this since maybe 2002 (major guess). The only number I can see is on the front cover of my manual which is 4619 702 03981. I have tried to look at the washer for any serial/model number but I recently got a cast removed from my right hand and can not stress it for 3 more weeks.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can, yes; but I know my limitations and will certainly get someone who is Whirlpool certified to do fix this problem if needed.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just how to be able to get my laundry done.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

If the washer just won't start, then either something is wrong with your start button (as you suspected), or the washer doesn't think the door is shut. That start button isn't sold separately, it comes with the entire interface control panel board so it's not something you want to go bad, but you'll need a technician to come out and check or you can check it yourself to see if you remove it from the front face if the button still clicks when depressing it. Below is a video on how to do this.

CLICK HERE for video

If you need to call for a technician to come out, Whirlpool's number is ***** and they can tell you who is authorized in your area.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.