Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My fghb2844lfe fridge is leaking water on the floor. it

Customer Question

my fghb2844lfe fridge is leaking water on the floor. it appears to be coming from the rear of ice maker. ant ideas?
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: model fghb2844lfe serial number 4a24413000 we have had it for a few years now
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if its easy enough. If its real fiddly ill probably get repairman
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: that's about it. what can I do to rule out something simple
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

To be clear, are you saying that if you pull the refrigerator forward and go behind the entire unit and look up where the water line goes to the icemaker---that is where it's leaking? Or where do you see it leaking?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no the leak appears to be leaking inside the fridge at rear of icemaker
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

OK so unfortunately that means you need to remove the icemaker out. There is a back vent panel behind the icemaker that you'll need to remove. That back wall covers up a small evaporator which cools the icemaker compartment. It sounds like your drain line is likely clogged so when it defrosts it's leaking. Thaw any frost or ice that you see with a hair dryer. Then shoot hot water down the drain hole below the silver coils using a turkey baster or something until the drain line is clear. Then you can re-assemble and you should be good to go again.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?