Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Thermidor microwave, warming drawer, oven

I have a...

I have a Thermidor microwave, warming drawer, oven combination from about 2004. not sure of the model. Oven heats perfectly to the temp setting. But then as it loses heat, it does not reheat until I hit the bake/start button again and see that it has a 30-40 degree drop and starts to reheat again. thoughts on the problem and if it is fixable.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

Thermador - unsure of model - it's done this for a while but it seems to have gotten worse.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably would bring in a repairman - my biggest concern is that it is not fixable or that it might cost way too much.

4/10/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The issue is fixable but it could be rather inconvenient and expensive to fix depending on what has failed. The 2 possibilities would be that your bake element is bad, or your relay control board logic is corrupted. During preheat, all the elements are used to heat the oven up quicker. Once the oven has reached temperature, only the bake element is used. You'd need to have the bake element tested for continuity. If the bake element still has continuity, your relay board logic is corrupted and on most of these units the relay board is no longer available so you have to remove the board and send it to a place like Core Centric Solutions to have the board refurbished. That takes about 2 weeks and costs about $200. On the other hand, if the bake element has no continuity, then replace the bake element and you'll be good to go again.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
FYI - the Model# ***** *****

OK so the good news is that the relay board is still made and you don't have to have it refurbished on this model. Below is a link to the relay board and the bake element depending on which one you need.

CLICK HERE for relay board

CLICK HERE for bake element

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One more quick question - I believe I need to pull the oven out of the wall to replace the heater element on my Thermador - do you have a video or other description on the process?? (Model SEMW302BS/02)

You are correct because the element is below the floor so you need to pull the oven out and remove it from behind the oven. Unfortunately there is no video of this process. As an overview, you will need to open the oven door, then remove the screws going in through the side trim into your kitchen cabinets. Remove the trim around the microwave section and pull the entire unit out (it comes out with the oven, warming drawer, and microwave as one assembly. If you don't have an oven dolly to remove this entire unit, you would likely need a technician for this repair I'm sorry to say.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc